Baby pancakes

(makes approx 24 pikelets)
For many months now since my little girl has been born, my husband has lovingly prepared breakfast for me most mornings. He has continued my usual trend of gourmet hot breakfasts with a combination of any or all of my favourites: avocado, eggs, spinach, kale, mushrooms, tomatoes, prosciutto and toast, plus a smoothie usually. Yes, I know, it's a little over the top but so delicious and helps me get more vegetables in early in the day, and it really gets you going after the long nights! This is just a little shout-out to him, and for my own memory :)

Sadly, I have to take back over most of the time now as Anneliese is getting up a bit later and he needs to go to work earlier. I don't mind but I think my little girl is a bit too much like me, getting a little hangry when she doesn't get her breakfast on time! Her staple is pear porridge and it has been fun seeing her love breakfast as much as I do. I recently tried these baby pancakes out to give her some variety and keep her occupied whilst I eat my own breakfast and do some washing up. The batter makes a bit too many for one little person though, so I tried a couple of different flavours on different days. The batter keeps well overnight so I made carrot and apple on the first day and banana and blueberry on the second. The pancakes taste good on the same day, but not great with reheating so better to make it fresh in the morning, a bit of extra work but worth it! 
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
100g self-raising flour
150mL light milk
1 egg
1 tsp vegetable oil
spray oil 

Flavours (quantities are for the full batch, however I made half of each on separate days to change it up);
Carrot and apple
1 small carrot, grated
1 apple, grated
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, optional

Or Banana and blueberry
1 small banana, roughly mashed with a fork
1/2 C frozen or fresh blueberries

Or Strawberry and coconut
5 strawberries, diced
1/4 cup desiccated coconut 

Method
1. Prepare the batter by whisking together the flour, milk, egg and oil. 
NB. If you want to keep some mixture for the next day or meal, then set it aside in an airtight container. 
2. Mix in the carrot and apple mixture, or the banana and blueberry mixture.

3. Heat a non-stick frypan on low-medium heat and spray with a thin layer of oil. 
4. Spoon out one tablespoon of mixture at a time into the frypan, leaving a few centimetres gap between the pikelets. 
NB. You may only fit four to six at a time depending on the size of your pan, they cook quickly so don't try to cram too many in otherwise you'll end up with one big pancake!
5. Cook for 3 minutes or until the batter goes semi-solid on the top and golden brown on the bottom, then flip and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Apple and carrot pancakes, full of Vitamin A and C
Banana and blueberry pancakes (plus my smoothie in the background)
Love that blueberry-smeared smile :)

0 comments :

Post a Comment