My First Cooking Demo!

The menu:
Canapés:


Main:
Kontomire, African Spinach Stew
(made by Ethel, the co-chef, yum!)
Side:
Dessert:

Just click on the title for the link to the recipe.

My reflections:
So, there have been a handful of times when i've offered my catering services to a big group of people (10-20 people). I never regret it. In fact, i love the adrenalin in the build-up to it but it definitely feels a little crazy! I can't stop thinking about what I'm going to make for the week leading up to it, and since i can't help being an organised person i end up with a dozen lists: brainstorming ideas, experimental recipes, shopping lists, preparation lists broken down into days/nights leading up, a general time-plan for the day, a structured and prioritised to-do list for the day, and a final packing list (not to mention the revised lists!). 

This time round, it felt like i had just jumped up another level by offering to do a cooking demonstration. Interestingly, this new layer of the challenge involved not only thinking about a menu that would look and taste impressive, with dishes that complement one another (well at least I tried somewhat), but that were also simple enough to try yourself, but gourmet enough to be worth demonstrating! 
The preparation also had an extra layer of organisation involved; making enough for everyone to eat, having enough ready so nobody was hungry for too long, but also leaving enough to show how to make it. 
I always feel like I learn so much every time i take on these projects, i can see how putting chefs in the deep end helps them to learn to think on their feet, act quickly or fail miserably. 

Couldn't have done it without my sous chef sister, thanks Bec !

0 comments :

Post a Comment